Saturday, March 2, 2024

The Book of Lost Names

by Kristin Harmel

This is a beautiful, beautiful book.

I have been on a waiting list for a long time at our library for this book … BUT … it was so, so worth the wait!  I love the main character Eva!  It is hard to read this book in light of present day developments, it feels like history is repeating itself.  But I guess that is exactly why we should read books about WWII: to remember.  And to not turn a blind eye as evil tries once again to rear its ugly head.

Eva's love of books and the opening paragraph of this book are what drew me to the story, the author's way with words and ease of flipping from past to present tense are what kept me reading.  

So often when I try to read a book that either flips perspectives (those books that were so popular a few years ago told between his and hers point of view - UGH.  Those books really frustrated me because just as I found myself getting a good grasp on what one character was thinking, feeling, or motivated by...here came the next one changing it once again and by like chapter six I had no idea who I was reading about).  I also normally do not like the books that flip between past and present tense because I so often get so confused that I find myself flipping back to the chapter to double check what decade/century it is in, and this is so much harder with the kindle version.  

Not this time.  

She so flawlessly wove in the transition and so beautifully unpacked the narrative that it really adds a great layer to the story. 

I have so many quotes highlighted, but after completing the book I do not want to chance giving anything away, so I decided not to post them here.  But I will say -  GO READ THE BOOK!!!  💖

No comments:

Post a Comment