Saturday, March 19, 2022

The Snow Queen by K.M. Shea & Nory Ryan's Song by Patricia Reilly Giff

I recently read Shakespeare for Brighter Winter challenge, so I chose a different direction to go in this week and pulled another two books from my TBR stack.  

First up was The Snow Queen by K.M. Shea (I actually have the trilogy - but finished book one for this week's challenge).  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this story of Princess Rakel.  She has been neglected, punished, and ostracized for her magical abilities.  Starving for love, not knowing how to connect to people drives this story straight to your heart.  I love her noble quest, her unselfish pursuit of justice and freedom for her country of Verglas.  My favorite character is Phile (hilarious!!!) and of course Rakel.  I got so wrapped up in the story a few times, I had to read under the covers because I was so cold 😅.  I do recommend if you start the book, go ahead and get the trilogy because book one does leave you wanting to read more. 

Next up, I selected Nory Ryan's Song because of St. Patrick's Day (it is set in Ireland).  This is a story that I've wanted to read for a long time. 

My husband had to unexpectedly travel out of state this week, one of our pets was sick, and we had some medication adjustments.  All of these together made for a pretty stressful week...so I am not sure how much of that affected what I am about to say.  

For better or for worse though, I have to say I do not like Patricia Reilly Giff's writing style, I found myself getting confused between characters and it took me a long time to bond to Nory's story.  I didn't find myself getting lost in the moments, nor did I find myself feeling anything beyond the absolute wonder that Ireland ever forgave England for their absolute horrible treatment.  I expected to feel the hunger and fear that they must have felt wondering if Da would ever return, if they would be turned out of their homes like their neighbors, and if the potato blight would take their hope for a better tomorrow, but I found myself thumbing through each chapter just to let myself know how many more pages I had to read before I got through it.  I will try this again in the future I am sure and I am interested to see what my girls think when they read it/hear it.  

Well - hope you guys are having a great weekend 💝. I am so happy that my husband is home and we had so much fun watching two Martha Vineyard's Mysteries with our girls today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment