Thursday, May 5, 2022

Lady of Ashes

This is a historical mystery written by Christine Trent.  I checked it out from the library and I have to say, it was sloooow in many, many parts.  It covers the war between the north and south, Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort, the slums of London, and in the midst of the historical narratives, the Morgan's undertaking business in all of its detail.  

The main mystery was splintered and it took me a bit to realize exactly which one was the focal point of the book.  Which mystery was  the one that was Violet's priority to solve, the one that would provide the spine to the story?  The narrative jumped between a nameless person writing in a diary about their nefarious actions, to American politics, to a workhouse girl, and even including Graham (Violet's husband) and Fletcher (her brother in law/husband's brother) wrapped up in some sort of an illegal/unadvisable something or other.  I think the book could have been about a hundred pages shorter and a bit more to the point.

I have to say even though I would not read this again, I love history, so I found the little historical tidbits interesting.  

I am also reading Mother's Day Mayhem by Lynn Cahoon.  I didn't realize what a short book it was, but I will write a review later today about the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment