Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Runaway King

by Jennifer Nielson.  

OK, so I spent more than half of the first book in this series hating Sage, but by the end of the False Prince I was hooked.  I realize technically this is a middle grade book and initially I did buy the first book to pre-read for my oldest based on a recommendation from another mom...but life happened and time passed and I did not get a chance to read it in time before she lost interest.  But, I decided, I wanted to read it just to see what all of the hype was about (a LOT of people like this book!) so I kept putting it in TBR pile "just in case".

I'm really glad I finally read it.  I totally agree with CS Lewis: "A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest."  And this is a series that I believe can be enjoyed by anyone, of any age.

With all of that said, I lasted less than 24 hours of finishing book one before I checked the library to see if book two was available.  It was not, but if I put my name on the waiting list then it would be "available soon".  I went to bed and excitedly woke up the next morning and immediately checked to see if it was ready.  Obviously their definition of soon and my definition of soon were miles apart.  Finally, on Sunday night after checking for approximately the fifteenth time and seeing that it was still listed as "available soon",  I asked my husband if I could just bite the bullet and buy it on kindle...I have the first book in paperback, but I did not like the idea of waiting for the second book to arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday.  He said he'd do me one better.  He got me the first three on kindle (it came in a single download) so that I could own the entire trilogy together in the same format...😍  He knows me so well and loves me even better.

OH my goodness.  If I could pick one word to sum up this book it would be treachery.  Such treacherous actions from those you are supposed to be able to trust is hard to stomach.  I can't say much without giving away too much of either book one or book two - but - WOW!!!!  This is a great follow up to book one and naturally begs you to go ahead and read book three...  

I squeezed every spare moment I could to read book two.  I started late Sunday night and fittingly finished late last night 💖. My favorite character is still Mott, but a close follow up is Harlowe.  I am off to teach a math lesson - hoping to find some time later today to dig into book three - have a beautiful Tuesday.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment