Thursday, August 11, 2022

The Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Valor by Ally Carter

"That's the thing about fear, April had learned a long time ago.  Sometimes the scariest thing of all is standing still." pg. 52

The book opens with a group of orphans visiting the museum the very day that the Winterborne exhibit is due to be unveiled.  April lives in a group home, her twelfth house as a matter of fact, she's yet to experience a home...

She spends her days not fitting in and waiting for her mom to come back to get her just like she promised, but on this day she notices something a bit different.  The key - the very key her mom left her with - matches the emblem on the new wing at the museum.  It is the Winterborne crest and April means to find out why that is and what this key will unlock.  Sneaking back after dark was easy, the fire a mistake, waking up in the hospital proved to be fortuitous...or so she thinks.  What unfolds is a mystery too fantastical to put down.

I adored this book!!!  I highly recommend it,  it reminds me a bit of Mysterious Benedict Society and A Place to Hang the Moon and a smidge of Nancy Drew all mixed together (and perhaps also The Greenglass House too). It is such a delightful book, so now of course I want to read book two!  And since I bought book one in paperback, I preordered book two in paperback.  I am bummed that it is not due out until late September.  Does it bother you to have one book in paperback and one in hardback?  It bothers me, but not as much as when I own part of a series on Kindle and part in print - ugh!  

No comments:

Post a Comment